Wednesday, February 16, 2011

When You're Lost, You'll Never Gonna Find Your Way Out


I learned how to drive during the summer vacation of 2007 before entering college. I got my license on November of the same year but I was not allowed to bring a car to school until January 2008. When I was first permitted to drive to school, my parents had me follow a list of rules. First, I cannot go home late. The sun should still be up when I arrive home. Second, I must leave the house with enough time allowance so I will not rush while driving. Third, I must let pedestrians cross the road. Lastly, I must only drive the route from our house and UP. I must not make any detours that might make me lost.

My parents are very intelligent individuals. They were able to predict that if ever I get lost, I might have a hard time finding my way back home. The concern of parent for their kids who are starting to drive might have been a factor which inspired Thomas, Laurance, Nadel and Jacobs to conduct their study. In 2010, these researchers wanted to find out whether stress can affect the navigation skills of individuals. Previous studies have shown that the hippocampus plays a significant role in the relationship of stress and other cognitive functions. The hippocampus releases some hormones that may hinder performance on memory tasks. In driving, the effects of the hippocampus may affect the retrieval of cognitive maps, the maps people have of places stored in their memories, for navigation when they are under stress. However, the hormones from the hippocampus do not affect the brain areas that are responsible for landmark-based navigation techniques.


The experiment that Thomas, Laurance, Nadel and Jacobs conducted yielded interesting results. Their findings show that stress can impair women’s navigation abilities using cognitive maps which were not observed in their male participants. Also, landmark-based navigation techniques of both males and females were not affected by stress. In addition to these, they found out that several factors such as nature of the task, context and individual differences might affect people’s spatial navigation abilities. One particular finding that was really interesting is that the menstrual cycle of females may play a role in navigation. Other studies have suggested that the fluctuating levels of steroid hormones such as estradiol and testosterone in women may have effects on their visuospatial skills. Also, it has been observed that females have different levels of cortisol, a stress hormone, in their saliva during different phases of their cycle. This may account for their decreased ability in cognitive map-based spatial navigation as well. 

It was mentioned in class that males use cognitive maps more when navigating while females use landmarks more often. This difference in the gender’s preferences for navigation might have made males more adapted to getting lost in a place. The stress does not really ruin their cognitive maps. Maybe this is the reason why they usually prefer not asking directions from other people when they are lost. You just have to give them time to figure it out. Although sometimes, it really takes a long time before they do. 


I am really not sure what type of navigation technique I use whenever I drive around. I have never gotten lost since I started driving so probably, I navigate using landmarks more. After reading this article, I thought that I should be more careful and prepared the next time I go on the road. I shall purchase a map of the streets of Metro Manila on my next visit to the bookstore. It is unavoidable to feel stressed if I get lost. Therefore, I shall just be equipped with the proper tools that can help me out when this situation happens. Fortunately, I learned orienteering and map reading during my CWTS class. I never thought that this skill would come in handy in the super near future.

Laurance, H., Nadel, L. & Jacobs, J. (2010). Stress-induced impairment of spatial navigation in females. South African Journal of Psychology, 40(1), 32-43.

Photos from: www.vehiclevibes.com
                      www.cartoonstock.com



No comments:

Post a Comment